Derek and Ali Dodd drove their infant son to the local day care. They dropped him off and everything was as usual. What they didn’t realize is that a careless mistake would end up causing irreversible damage to their family forever.
It was in the day care facility where an employee was to place little Shepard down for his nap. But rather than put him in a crib, the employee placed him in his car seat. Two hours later Shepherd had turned blue. 911 was called. It was too late.
It’s a silent killer. When leaving a baby in a car seat or bouncer, they can actually suffocate when not properly strapped. This is how Shephard passed away. “Positional asphyxiation” is the official term.
Sleeping with your little ones can also be a cause of this. Ideally the baby needs to be in a secluded and safe environment for sleeping.
Some education sources recommend for when your baby falls asleep in your arms or on the couch, to actually place them on their back, on the floor. The thinking is that this is much safer than being on the sofa or in a chair where suffocation could occur more easily.
Check out this important video below to learn more: