Baby Died Minutes After Daycare Worker Put Him In Car Seat For A Nap. I Had NO IDEA This Was Possible!

5:41:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

Derek and Ali Dodd drove their infant son to the local day care. They dropped him off and everything was as usual. What they didn’t realize is that a careless mistake would end up causing irreversible damage to their family forever.
1

A Preventable Tragedy

It was in the day care facility where an employee was to place little Shepard down for his nap. But rather than put him in a crib, the employee placed him in his car seat. Two hours later Shepherd had turned blue. 911 was called. It was too late.
3

A Silent Killer

It’s a silent killer. When leaving a baby in a car seat or bouncer, they can actually suffocate when not properly strapped. This is how Shephard passed away. “Positional asphyxiation” is the official term.
5

Grieving Parents

“I was able to kiss him on the forehead as they wheeled him in. He was cold. So I knew it was coming.”
That same day Shepard passed on, leaving the parents to grieve like they’ve never done before.
8

A Loss That Cannot Be Imagined

Not many people are aware that positional asphyxia is pretty common and babies succumb to this tragedy frequently.
The family is incredibly heartbroken as they lost a member at such a young age. He wasn’t just a son, he was also a brother and the older sibling was in deep mourning as well.
15

No One Would Know

The report from the day care actually failed to mention their son’s death.
“What it says on there for our incident…it says she allowed a baby to sleep in a car seat. It doesn’t say anything about him dying. Even parents, wouldn’t even know that he died in her care.”
Parents were continuing to put their kids in this facility. A facility where a child had died at the hands of an employee, yet the public went unaware that the incident had occurred.
15

The Biggest Shock

It turns out that a recent code violation had been issued to the day care and the staff had been instructed about the harm regarding putting kids in car seats to sleep.
“She knew better. She was counseled just days before by DHS. She had had a violation eleven days before.”
It took months, but eventually the day care had their license revoked for undisclosed reasons.
9

They’re Not Alone

“She was strong,” said Jennifer Albright. “She was healthy. There was nothing wrong with her.”
Jennifer’s two-month-old daughter Emily passed away from positional asphyxiation just like Shepard but she was in her bouncy seat.
Now Jennifer looks at her scrapbooks to keep the memory of Emily alive. Her mistake was one that any parent could make.
10

It’s Easy To See

Check out this image. When you see your baby slouched in the car seat, this means the airway can easily become blocked and enough oxygen simply cannot reach the baby’s lungs.
The heavy newborn head cannot support it’s own neck so the airflow can get restricted and suffocation then takes place slowly.
11

Other Causes

Sleeping with your little ones can also be a cause of this. Ideally the baby needs to be in a secluded and safe environment for sleeping.
Some education sources recommend for when your baby falls asleep in your arms or on the couch, to actually place them on their back, on the floor. The thinking is that this is much safer than being on the sofa or in a chair where suffocation could occur more easily.
Check out this important video below to learn more:
[H/T:yixes.com]