Sometimes we are met with situations and decisions that just plain hurt. This was the case for Nick Schnarr and his wife Brooklyn as they were expecting their third child. Their doctors told them news of the sort that many expecting parents have nightmares about. Nick posted his experience on Facebook:
"For the last nine months, my wife Brooklyn has been pregnant with a very sick baby boy. Three or four months ago, we learned that the baby had severe hydrocephalus. Back in the old days, hydrocephalus was called, "water on the brain"... too much brain fluid. Ultimately, we were referred to the Cincinnati Children's Hospital, where we were told, by several of the most highly regarded fetal specialists in the country, that his condition was dire.
Flickr/Andrew Malone
The baby's condition was "off the charts bad." It was so extreme, that the specialists stopped measuring and monitoring his brain's fluid level because, at that point, it didn't really matter. The MRIs were sickening to look at. We were told, pointblank, that there was over a 90% chance that the baby would either die shortly after birth or have such severe cognitive impairments that any quality of life would be hard to imagine. We had a meeting with palliative care regarding the use of life sustaining measures, and had detailed, awful, and emotional discussions about the ethics of when we might need to remove or cease such measures – which would result in the baby "passing away peacefully."
Brooklyn relocated to Cincinnati and lived in a hotel close to the hospital – in case she went into labor. I commuted back and forth, while trying to work and take care of Sophie and Lily at home. On July 8th Brooklyn did indeed go into labor. Literally, 15 minutes before they wheeled her back to start the C-section, we had another meeting with doctors regarding the use of a breathing tube and at what point we might need to remove that tube and let the baby go to heaven. Guess what?... The baby came out crying – the sweetest sound I have ever heard.
Facebook/Nick Schnarr
In a nutshell, Charlie Edward Schnarr, stayed in infant intensive care until yesterday – when we all came home. He seems to be a normal, beautiful baby doing all the things that babies do. He has mild ventricular enlargement, but we can deal with that with checkups.
Facebook/Nick Schnarr
How did this happen??... The doctors said, "We do not have, and cannot come up with a medical explanation for what we've witnessed here." Somehow, his brain found a way to naturally "clear" the blockage or re-route the fluid that was causing the oppressive "back-up" of brain fluid. During the last week, I heard the word "divine intervention" and "miracle" more times than I could count. Nurses with decades of experience, and esteemed, nationally admired doctors were flabbergasted, but jubilant.
Facebook/Nick Schnarr
Because of the "domino effect" of friends, family, clients, colleagues, and even strangers praying and asking others to pray for us, I do not doubt that there were thousands of people praying for us. From the bottom of my heart, thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your thoughts, prayers, notes of encouragement, cards, texts, emails, and outpouring of love. Prayer is positively powerful. God is real, and he still performs miracles."
Facebook/Nick Schnarr
What an important reminder to never give up hope; things might really have a happy ending after all. We wish little Charlie and the rest of his family all the best for the coming months!


Post a Comment